28 September 2006

COPPER CHICK & COOKING

our 1st copper hen

can't catch me hare from hil's degree show

coat hanger postcards

mr & mrs copper chicks (our wedding pressie)

....I'm back to complete the post as promised! These pieces are all handmade by our very talented & gorgeous friend Hilary Bell. She works mainly in copper & is very much influenced by nature & the things that surround us day to day. We met in Manchester, pretty much on the 1st day of arriving to start our university adventures & I'll always remember my Mum saying "she looks like a girl you'll make friends with"....and so we did :)

She now lives & work in Edinburgh & we don't get to see her nearly enough. We're lucky to have some of her work in our home though so she's always around in the form of her/our copper chicks which always make me smile. She makes the most wonderful cards too....I'm already looking forward to this year's Christmas one!!

Another person who inspires me is the amazing food writer Tessa Kiros. I have treated myself to 2 of her books over the past year & whenever I pick one up to cook from or just to read I am blown away by the complete & utter gorgeousness of what's inside. Oh, the covers are just fantastical too....they're what attracted me in the 1st place....so I would say do judge a book by it's cover in this case. I found a great interview with her at Who Wants Seconds? too. I would recommend her books to anyone who loves cooking/colour/design/photography....anyone else out there a fan?

Here's a couple of pics to get you in her groove! (I see now that they're all on a cakey theme....must be my sweet tooth! Lots of fab savoury recipes too) x




4 comments:

Gigibird said...

I shall be investigating the cokkery books.
I am a reformed collector - be careful you don't become over run with chickens!
Love the hare picture.

Gigibird said...

cookery! It's late

shari said...

hi kelly!

the hens are lovely as are the coat hanger postcards. so nice! thanks for the intro to tessa's cookbooks. they are quite gorgeous. looking forward to reading the interview.

xo s

julie said...

Your friends work is wonderful!!! I love how she works with the copper to sculpt beautiful pieces!!!