we went to watch a film preview this morning in cambridge...i'm not used to going to the pictures before lunch but it was a nice experience...just a little strange stepping out into the sunshine afterwards : )
i had read the book so it's always interesting to see it's translation on to the screen. both funny + moving...just right for sunday cinema. oh + with jim broadbent too...can't go wrong.
a spot of baking this afternoon...nigel slater's almond + lavender biscuits which i found through google (not sure which of his books the recipe comes from?)
after reading this interview that mentioned them i had to track the recipe down to try out...don't worry...the flavour is very subtle : )
nigel slater's lavender + almond biscuits
125 g unsalted butter
50 g golden caster sugar
100 g plain flour
100g ground almonds
2 level teaspoons lavender buds
- whizz all the ingredients together in a food processor
- press into a dough
- cover + refrigerate for 4 hours
- pre-heat oven to 150c/300f/gas mark 2
- flour your hands + break off walnut sized pieces of dough
- flatten into tiny rounds + sprinkle some ground almonds on top
- lay on to lined baking sheets
- bake for 25-30 mins until golden
- allow to cool a little then transfer to a wire rack
perfect with a cup of tea as we sit + cheer on ireland in the rugby!
p.s. have been loving the serialisation of mr slater's new book in our sunday paper...talking tunnocks tea cakes...marmite...fish + chips...definitely one for the christmas wish list!